Monday, July 25, 2011

Getting Down and Dirty

I know it has been a few days since my last post, but we have been quite busy with the movers coming and doing a few things in the yard. I hope this post will help you see just what we have to tackle to to be completely settled in. 
This past Friday our household goods finally arrived! I am looking forward to settling into the house, but I am not very excited about emptying these boxes and trying to find places to put things.


There are two more rooms with stacks of boxes.

 In Germany it is uncommon to have closets because they are considered rooms and cost the builder/owners more money. What they use instead are wardrobes. This is not too big of a problem for me except when it comes to linen closets or a coat closet. In Wyoming we were blessed to have a coat closet and a linen closet and we have come to love having those available. We have nothing of the sort here...This is when things start to get interesting and creative. We also don't have the same type of storage in our kitchen and so we had to pick and choose a few items that we never really used and put them back in the box. I have one box that is for holiday and I filled it with extra pie pans and serving dishes and another box contains some of the appliances that aren't compatible with 220 voltage. I still kept a few of my favorite 120 appliances out (blender, mixer) and we will have to buy a small transformer for the kitchen. It just isn't smart to go out and buy a whole new set of kitchen appliances that are 220 then not be able to use them in the states.  
 We also went to our first German grocery store, Toom, and is Walmart-ish in the fact that there are clothes and toys and groceries. Daryl and I had a good time looking at things and laughing at a few. I am sure that some people were looking at us as we were pointing and giggling! We bought some fresh eggs and a local sweet wine, but that was it. 
As you can see by the feather on the egg I really did mean "fresh". haha

Hela is another store we decided to visit. It is just like Lowe's and had lots of fun home decor things to see. Our main goal was to visit the outdoor section; we bought some beautiful, blue pots and plants to put in them.
 Our house is white and I thought it was in a desperate need of a splash of color.
The fence that goes around our yard is hideous (I think the landlord was being cheap) and so we decided to buy some vines to cover it. Our neighbor owns a flower shop and she is bringing us some other ones that will grow much faster than these, but I am happy with them so far.


2 comments:

  1. Love the blue pots! As for the boxes GET TO WORK, girlie!

    We always have our house unpacked in 2-3 days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I am sure that having two kids helps with the unpacking! lol. It's just little 'ole me with no closets, no shelves, and only one dresser! I do admit though...I have been distracted with my blog..and facebook...and reading. I know, I am terrible lol.

    ReplyDelete